15.181, Disc: Re: Declining use--inflected forms in English

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 20 04:52:44 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-181. Mon Jan 19 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.181, Disc: Re: Declining use--inflected forms in English

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:24:44 +0200
From:  <yishai at bgumail.bgu.ac.il>
Subject:  Re: 15.117, Disc: New: Declining use--inflected forms in English

2)
Date:  Fri, 16 Jan 2004 05:43:26 -0800 (PST)
From:  Rajendran C <crajenin at yahoo.com>

Date:  Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:24:44 +0200
From:  <yishai at bgumail.bgu.ac.il>

The distribution of the alternative -er/-est vs. more/,iost
constructions pointed out here is not new and a semantic distinction
has been postulated and analysed. See:

Tobin, Yishai. 1990. Semiotics and Linguistics. London: Longman
(chap. 7)

Yishai Tobin