15.215, FYI: Postgraduate Research Training; Anaphors Survey

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 21 19:17:28 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-215. Wed Jan 21 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.215, FYI: Postgraduate Research Training; Anaphors Survey

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Anne Clarke <anne at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 21 Jan 2004 05:30:41 -0500 (EST)
From:  Kevin  Watson <k.d.watson at lancaster.ac.uk>
Subject:  Postgraduate Research Training, Manchester, UK

2)
Date:  Wed, 21 Jan 2004 04:58:39 -0500 (EST)
From:  Florian Jaeger <tiflo at stanford.edu>
Subject:  Survey on Anaphoric Elements

Date:  Wed, 21 Jan 2004 05:30:41 -0500 (EST)
From:  Kevin  Watson <k.d.watson at lancaster.ac.uk>

Attention Postgraduate Students:

The North West Centre for Linguistics is delighted to announce...

NWCL Research Training Programme
Spring 2004

29 March - 2 April 2004
University of Manchester

**A week of courses on theoretical and applied linguistics and
linguistic research methodology.**

**Includes the NWCL Annual Lecture**

**Numerous Social Events**

Week long courses in:

Comparative Syntax
Speakers:
- Nigel Vincent (University of Manchester)
- John Payne (University of Manchester)
- Willem Hollmann (Lancaster University)
- Bob Borsley (University of Essex)
- Dik Bakker (University of Amsterdam)

Computational Linguistics
Speakers:
- Paul Bennett (UMIST)
- Debora Field (UMIST)
- Blaise Nkwenti-Azeh (UMIST)
- Doug Arnold (Essex)
- Marie-José Hamel (UMIST)

Afternoon sessions include:

- Getting a job in linguistics (various speakers)
- Field methods (Jeanette Sakel, Manchester)
- Tools for language documentation and description (Peter Austin,
SOAS)
- Key terms in linguistics: Formal explanation (Steve Pulman, Oxford)
- Corpora, Description & Theory (Geoff Leech, Lancaster)

For more information on the course programme, see the NWCL website
(http://www.nwcl.salford.ac.uk/research.htm)

The NWCL Annual Lecture

Monday 29th March 2004
Arts Building, University of Manchester, 5.30pm

Penelope Eckert
Stanford University

Title to be announced.

The Annual Lecture coincides with the Research Training Programme, but
is open to everyone.

Student sponsorhip available

Thanks to BAAL, LAGB, and the Philological Society, we can offer
sponsorship of two students from UK institutions who attend the
Research Programme.  Up to 300UKP is available per student to cover
travel and accommodation.  There is also additional funding available
as smaller contributions towards travel and accommodation to students
from NWCL institutions.  Deadline for Sponsorship is the 30th JANUARY
2004.  See the website for more information on how to apply.

Registration Fees

The full programme (morning and afternoon sessions) costs 20UKP for
students from NWCL institutions, and 25UKP for all other students.  It
is also possible to regsiter for single afternoon sessions, at a cost
of 3.50UKP per session for students from NWCL institutions and 5UKP
for all other students.

To register, download a registration form from the NWCL Website
(http://www.nwcl.salford.ac.uk/research.htm).

Deadline for registration is 1 MARCH 2004.

Queries

If you have any questions, email Kevin Watson at
k.d.watson at lancaster.ac.uk

Important Dates:

Deadline for sponsorhip applications: 30th January 2004

Deadline for registering on the programme: 1 March 2004.

Website: http://www.nwcl.salford.ac.uk/research.htm