15.242, Disc: Re: Blind Peer Review

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 23 04:59:41 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-242. Thu Jan 22 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.242, Disc: Re: Blind Peer Review

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:21:42 -0000
From:  "Spencer, Andrew J" <spena at essex.ac.uk>
Subject:  peer reviewing system

2)
Date:  Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:26:09 -0500
From:  Susana Sotillo <sotillos at mail.montclair.edu>
Subject:  About Journals and Independent Journal Evaluation

3)
Date:  Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:38:37 -0500 (EST)
From:  Felecia  Briscoe <fbriscoe at utsa.edu>
Subject:  Blind Peer Reviews

Date:  Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:21:42 -0000
From:  "Spencer, Andrew J" <spena at essex.ac.uk>

A brief comment arising from the postings by Ronals Sheen and Martin
Haspelmath. The pro's and con's of blind peer reviewing are a lively
topic of debate in other disciplines, for instance, the natural
sciences. Virtually every month some issue of the (weekly) journal
'Nature' seems to contain correspondence or editorial comment on the
matter. Physicists and biologists in particular are sufficiently
concerned about the perceived problems with peer reviewing that they
have set up or are contemplating unrefereed web-based journal
publishing. I think that any debate about this topic in the context of
linguistics should begin with a survey of what other disciplines think
about this. My understanding of the matter is that it's relatively
clear what the problems are but far from clear what the best solutions
are.

Andrew Spencer