15.261, Calls: Applied Ling/China; Applied Ling/Hungary

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 24 16:09:14 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3401. Tue Dec 9 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3401, Qs: .

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:37:29 -0500 (EST)
From:  [** UTF-8 charset **] Daniel Barrag�<danbartre at yahoo.com>
Subject:  Ecology of language early references

2)
Date:  Sun, 7 Dec 2003 00:12:14 -0500 (EST)
From:  Jason Malone <jmalone77 at yahoo.com>
Subject:  Eliciting cognitive prototypes through judgment

Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:37:29 -0500 (EST)
From:  [** UTF-8 charset **] Daniel Barrag�<danbartre at yahoo.com>

Early references to an ecological approach in linguistics are Voegelin & Voegelin (1964), Voegelin, Voegelin & Schutz (1967),  and, of course, Haugen (1971/1972).
Authors indicate that Haugen's paper was ''based on a lecture given in 1970'' (M�hlh�usler 2002: 375) or ''in a talk given in August, 1970'' (Fill 1998/2001: 43).
But, in which conference/colloquium/symposium the paper was read?

Van Lier (2000: 251) points to an earlier reference to the ecology of language: John Trim in his ''Historical, descrptive and dynamic linguistics'', Language and Speech 2: 9-25, 1959.
Does anyone know the passage where Trim makes reference to (or defines) the ecology of language''?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel Barragan
Universidad de Guadalajara
danbartre at yahoo.com