15.269, Jobs: TFL: Teacher, Defense Language Institute

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jan 25 07:12:00 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-269. Sun Jan 25 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.269, Jobs: TFL: Teacher, Defense Language Institute

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:05:49 -0500 (EST)
From:  kalyn.shubnell at monterey.army.mil
Subject:  Teaching Foreign Language: Teacher, Defense Language Institute

Date:  Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:05:49 -0500 (EST)
From:  kalyn.shubnell at monterey.army.mil

University or Organization: Defense Language Institute
Department: Attn: FPS
Rank of Job: Teacher
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition, Teaching foreign languages
Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (Code = ABV); Chinese, Mandarin
		      (Code = CHN); English (Code = ENG);
		      Korean (Code = KKN)

Announcement FPS-04-001
Foreign Language Teaching Positions

The Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLI) invites
applications for faculty positions. This application (FPS-04-001) is
for all languages and faculty positions. Please indicate your language
on your application. DLI is a degree-granting institution accredited
by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), which
employs close to 1000 full-time faculty who teach, develop courses,
and test in over 30 different languages. While most of DLI's vacancies
are foreign language teaching positions, DLI has occasional vacancies
in the Institute's Directorate of Evaluation and Standardization (ES),
the Directorate of Curriculum and Faculty Development (CFD), the
Directorate of Continuing Education (CE) and in academic
administration. DLI, overlooking the beautiful and historic Monterey
Bay in California, offers candidates the opportunity to work in a
diversified and multi-cultural environment supported by
computer-assisted language learning technology.

Description of Work
The Institute offers foreign language instruction in various languages
to approximately 3,000 students on a year-round schedule. Courses are
intensive, and the classes are limited to 10 students who attend
classes six to seven hours a day. Faculty members work in teams and
each team teaches the same students throughout their course, which
varies in length by language from 25 to 63 weeks. Faculty members
teach all aspects of resident and non-resident courses to military
personnel and federal government civilian employees, using real-world
proficiency activities. In addition to teaching listening, reading,
writing, and speaking skills, the curriculum includes instruction in
geopolitical, economic, and social attributes of foreign cultures, as
well as job-related tasks. A typical eight-hour day (40 hour work
week) consists of four or more hours of classroom instruction in
addition to preparing for instruction, adapting teaching material,
administering and grading tests, checking homework, evaluating student
performance, student counseling and other related activities. Faculty
members are expected to stay abreast of current teaching, testing, and
curriculum development theories and methods and participate in
Institute sponsored professional development.

How To Apply
We are currently recruiting for Arabic, Korean, Serbian/Croatian,
Chinese and Farsi. We are also looking for an English Grammar teacher
(teaching English refresher courses to native-English speakers.)  You
will find the application on line at www.wcpoc.army.mil.  Select
Employment Information and then the link for Language Teaching
positions. We can also email or mail an application to you. Contact
kalyn.shubnell at monterey.army.mil.

Address for Applications:

	Attn: DLIFLC Office of the Provost Attn: FPS
	1759 Lewis Rd Ste. 254
	Monterey, CA 93944
	United States of America

	Applications are due by 31-Dec-2004