15.331, Qs: L2 Acqisition/Japanese; Deaf Learning/English

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 29 16:09:57 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-331. Thu Jan 29 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.331, Qs: L2 Acqisition/Japanese; Deaf Learning/English

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:26:33 -0500 (EST)
From:  Catherine Durand <katorinsan2003 at yahoo.ca>
Subject:  Acquisition of Japanese locative particles

2)
Date:  Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:29:09 -0500 (EST)
From:  June Yang <joyeux_26 at pacific.net.sg>
Subject:  Deaf Child fr Minority Language Family

Date:  Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:26:33 -0500 (EST)
From:  Catherine Durand <katorinsan2003 at yahoo.ca>

I am an M.A. student in Applied Linguistics and have chosen as a topic
for my thesis the acquisition of Japanese locative particles by adult
English and/or French speakers.  I am interested in studying the
sequence of acquisition of these features, as well as the possible
influence of transfer.  Most of the articles I have found, however,
report studies conducted with children who are studying Japanese with
the FLES Programme in the United States, and very few of them mention
the acquistion of particles at all.  These articles include the ones
published by Igarashi, K., Wudthayagorn, J., Donato, R. & Tucker,
G.R. (2002); Antonek, J., Donato, R. & Tucker, G.R. (2000); Carpenter,
K., Fujii, N. & Kataoka, H. (1995); and Hakuta, K. (1982).  I was
wondering if anyone is aware of research on the acquisition of
locative particles by Japanese L2 learners that I may have missed.  I
would greatly appreciate your help with this and promise in return to
post all relevant article references on the Linguist List for future
reference.

Subject-Language: English;French;Japanese; Code: JPN