15.1976, Jobs: NLP: Senior Level Software Engineer, Ask Jeeves

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 2 02:34:44 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1976. Thu Jul 1 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1976, Jobs: NLP: Senior Level Software Engineer, Ask Jeeves

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:07:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:  tfelicienne at askjeeves.com
Subject:  NLP/Computational Ling: Senior Level Software Engineer, Ask Jeeves

Date:  Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:07:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:  tfelicienne at askjeeves.com

University or Organization: Ask Jeeves, Inc.
Rank of Job: Software Engineer, NLP/ Computational Linguistics
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics, Search Engine/ Information
		 Retrieval

Design and implement NLP engines and tools

Job Requirements
Responsibilities:
Design and Develop Natural Language Processing Tools
Develop and maintain sub-systems within Query Answering Engine.
Lead a group of software developers

Technical Skills:

Expert at: C/C++
Highly proficient with: SQL, XML
Desired: Perl, .NET/C#, IIS/ASP/DHTML, XML/XSLT
OS: Windows / Unix (Linux)
Primary Windows IDE: Visual Studio

Professional Skills:

The candidate must be a very senior software engineer, with many years
of practical industry experience writing production-quality efficient
code in C/C++. This job will require hands-on programming.

The candidate must possess a mixture of both academic computer science
skills and hands-on hardcore systems programming skills. The following
areas of computer science background are appropriate for this job:
- computational linguistics / NLP
- artificial intelligence
- machine learning
- information retrieval
- data mining (of natural language data)

Strong grasp of math is necessary.
Solid understanding of how search engines work is necessary.
Familiarity with internationalization / localization issue a plus.

The candidate must have experience leading a group of software
engineers this could be a lead engineer / lead architect role or a
manager role.

Attributes:
- Lots of initiative to develop differentiating products.
- Utmost reliability, without being micro-managed.
- Flexible personality to work independently and in teams.
- Empathy for the user.

Additional Requirements:
- 10+ yrs hands-on programming experience
- 2+ yrs as a lead or manager.
- Undergraduate, graduate, or doctorate degree in Computer
  Science. Ph.D. preferred.
- Startup or self-employment experience in the computer industry a
  plus.

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Please follow link to our online application:
	http://www.askjeevescareers.com/askjeeves/NC.asp?ID=255

	Emeryville, CA 94608
	United States of America

	Position is open until filled.