15.2011, Qs: Lateral Fricatives; Conditional Concessives

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 7 11:44:57 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2011. Wed Jul 7 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2011, Qs: Lateral Fricatives; Conditional Concessives

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:41:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Aaron Lee <ajl at ucla.edu>
Subject:  Lateral Fricatives

2)
Date:  Sun, 4 Jul 2004 01:21:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Hiroaki Tanaka <tanaka at kansaigaidai.ac.jp>
Subject:  Conditional concessives

Date:  Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:41:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Aaron Lee <ajl at ucla.edu>

I am doing research on lateral fricatives and affricates from both a
phonetic and phonological standpoint.  I am investigating both what
these sounds are derived from (historically) and what these sounds
become.  The goal is to get a better understanding of their
phonetic/phonological features.

Unfortunately, lateral fricatives and affricates are not one of the
world's most common sounds.  I am looking for as many languages as I
can find with lateral fricative(s)/affricate(s).

The more languages I can retrieve the better.  I am recording these
languages in a database to make an aerial map of where lateral
fricatives are distributed in the world.  Note that I am *not* looking
for voiceless lateral approximants.

Some languages and language families that I have collected: Welsh,
Athabascan family, Muskogean family, Cherokee, Chadic family, Nguni
family, Toda, Black Miao, Putian-hua, Huangshan-hua, Yue/Cantonese
family...

I am particularly short on languages from the Indo-European family,
the Austronesian family and also Central and South America.

Thanks,
Aaron Lee