15.2032, Support: Corpus Development: Ph.D. scholarship, Dublin

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 9 03:09:03 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2032. Thu Jul 8 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2032, Support: Corpus Development: Ph.D. scholarship, Dublin

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:40:44 +0100
From:  Andy Way <away at computing.dcu.ie>
Subject:  Corpus Development: Ph.D. scholarship, Dublin City University

Date:  Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:40:44 +0100
From:  Andy Way <away at computing.dcu.ie>

Funded Ph.D. scholarship in Bitext Creation and Annotation 2004-2007

The School of Computing and the National Centre for Language
Technology has secured a studentship for a Science Foundation
Ireland-funded Basic Research project on Bilingual Corpus Development
and Annotation. The project starts October 2004, and funding is for
three years at a rate of 12,000 p/a and fees.

Our ideal candidates would have a good background in Computing,
Computational Linguistics and Natural Language Processing; programming
experience in one or more of Java, Perl, C++, Prolog, Lisp etc, and a
strong interest in and motivation for research is strongly
recommended.  The research involves knowledge of Lexical-Functional
Grammar and Bilingual Sub-Sentential tree alignment. We envisage that
the resources built will be primarily of use in the area of
Corpus-Based Machine Translation. The student would also work
alongside a postdoctoral researcher in probabilistic models of
generation.

For informal inquiries and further details, please contact:
josef at computing.dcu.ie , away at computing.dcu.ie
by Friday August 6th, 2004.

Josef van Genabith and Andy Way
School of Computing