15.2044, FYI: Language and Origin in Refugee Cases

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jul 11 17:50:40 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2044. Sun Jul 11 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2044, FYI: Language and Origin in Refugee Cases

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Anne Clarke <anne at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:03:42 -1000
From:  Jeff Siegel <jsiegel at hawaii.edu>
Subject:  Language and Origin in Refugee Cases

Date:  Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:03:42 -1000
From:  Jeff Siegel <jsiegel at hawaii.edu>

Dear Colleagues,

An international group of 19 linguists has recently released a set of
guidelines on the use of language analysis in determining the national
origin of asylum seekers. The guidelines can be found in pdf form on
the home page of the International Association of Forensic Linguists:
http://www.iafl.org/

The issues raised in the document relate to widespread concerns that
current practices in a number of countries are often quite
problematic and can result in the failure to properly discharge
responsibilities under the UN Refugees Convention.

Please feel free to forward the pdf file (or web address) to
government departments, immigration lawyers, refugee/asylum seeker
support groups and others.

If you have any questions, please contact me or Diana Eades
<eades at hawaii.edu>.

Best wishes,

Jeff Siegel

jsiegel at une.edu.au