15.2144, All: Warning about Faked LINGUIST Mail

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 26 16:40:52 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2144. Mon Jul 26 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2144, All: Warning about Faked LINGUIST Mail

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:34:13 -0400
From:  Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Subject:  Warning about Faked LINGUIST Mail

Date:  Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:34:13 -0400
From:  Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Dear Subscribers:

It has become common for spammers and virus writers to fake ("spoof") email
addresses in order to entice their recipients to read the messages or open the
attachments they contain.  Sadly, the LINGUIST List is no longer immune from
this kind of action, and we are now seeing people faking the LINGUIST address
on this kind of mail.

We thus feel that it is necessary to remind everyone that unless you
are receiving LINGUIST in digested form, no legitimate mail from
LINGUIST *ever* contains an attachment.  Do not open attachments that
purport to come from the LINGUIST list: we will never send you any.
We emphatically do not have a "technical support team" which sends you
helpful programs, as some of these messages allege.

Simply put: if you see a message that seems to come from LINGUIST and also
contains an attachment, delete it: it almost certainly contains a virus.

Anthony & Helen
Moderators, LINGUIST