15.2166, FYI: Extended Deponency Website

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 29 15:17:23 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2166. Thu Jul 29 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2166, FYI: Extended Deponency Website

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Anne Clarke <anne at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:59:39 +0100
From:  Matthew Baerman <m.baerman at surrey.ac.uk>
Subject:  New Website: Extended Deponency

Date:  Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:59:39 +0100
From:  Matthew Baerman <m.baerman at surrey.ac.uk>

The Surrey Morphology Group would like to draw your attention to a new
website devoted to a project on 'Extended Deponency'. The idea derives from
the deponent verbs of Latin, which were passive in form but active in
meaning. We take this as the core example of a type of morphological
mismatch where the same inflected form can express mutually exclusive
grammatical functions. Our project is a cross-linguistic typology of this
phenomenon. The website address is:

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/LIS/MB/Deponencymain.htm

We welcome any input.

The project is funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (UK)
under grant number RES-000-23-0375.