15.1709, Qs: Radical Interpretation; Discourse/Web

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jun 3 13:49:19 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1709. Thu Jun 3 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1709, Qs: Radical Interpretation; Discourse/Web

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Andrea Berez <andrea at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 28 May 2004 18:45:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:  James Young <joy at uvic.ca>
Subject:  Radical Interpretation

2)
Date:  Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:38:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Jane Faerber <janel at chicks.dk>
Subject:  Discourse Communities on websites

Date:  Fri, 28 May 2004 18:45:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:  James Young <joy at uvic.ca>

I am a philosopher of language interested in whether what philosophers
have said about radical interpretation bears any relation to
reality. W.V. Quine and Donald Davidson have told an a priori story
about how radical interpretation -- the interpretation of completely
unknown languages -- must take place. This is the sort of
interpretation that would occur should a field linguish parachute into
a jungle and find speakers of a language completely unknown to
speakers of another language. This sort of radical interpreation has
taken place: it took place when Europeans reached Australia and North
America.

Does anyone know of any literature by linguists or enthographers on
what actually occurs when speakers of alien tongues first come into
contact with each other? Perhaps early European explorers left a
record?

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Replies to James Young
(joy at uvic.ca). Thank you in advance.