15.1960, Sum: Cognitive Phonology

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 30 15:01:43 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1960. Wed Jun 30 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1960, Sum: Cognitive Phonology

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steve Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:48:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Andre Luiz Souza <souzandreluiz at yahoo.de>
Subject:  Summary Part 1 - Cognitive Phonology

Date:  Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:48:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Andre Luiz Souza <souzandreluiz at yahoo.de>

Dear colleagues,

I sent, some time ago, a query (Linguist 15.1116) to LINGUISTLIST,
asking for references and others sources about ''Cognitive
Phonology'', in order to help the development of the researh I have
been carrying in Brazil. I have got lots of answers. First of all, I'd
like to thank everybody who has somehow helped me out. As soon as I
get the research done, I'll let you all know. I present bellow the
summary of the answers I've got.

Regards,

Andre L Souza
Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
Faculdade de Letras
souzandreluiz at yahoo.de

* Herbert L. Colston (University of Wisconsin-Parkside)

There is some work by Willie Van Peer, who has collaborated with
people somewhere in Brazil, on the embodied motivation of some aspects
of phonology.

I've also begun some work in this area on the potential bodily
motivation of certain phonological structures in English (-ench,
-inch, -easy, -eesy) and how they pertain to the conceptual domains of
tight/constrained/etc., versus loose/open/etc.  respectively.

* Andrea Matos

Chapter 10 - the cognitive model of phonology/morphology - on
Cognitive Linguistics by William Croft and Allan Cruse might be a good
source.

* Dirk Geeraerts

I wouldn't say the literature is sparse. There's good work by John
Taylor, Geoff Nathan and Joan Bybee.

* Israel ''izzy'' Cohen

In Semitic languages you sometimes find that the sounds of a word have
been reversed for any of the following reasons:

1 - A noun/thing or action/verb is taboo.

2 - The word is ineffable, such as a god's name, e.g., kHermes ->
Mercury, or Zeus -> Souza :-).

3 - A thing is dangerous or an event is feared, e.g., ''Pillar of
Salt'' y"hrombosis.

4 - On anthropomorphic maps, the toponym already exists on another
map.

5 - There is a semantic reversal of another word, such as Genesis
42:23 where MLTZ y"'translator'' is a reversal of TZLM y"icture,
that is, to ''un-picture'' Egyptian hieroglyphics.

* Sarah Taub

John Taylor has a nice discussion in his textbook ''Cognitive
Grammar'' He writes very clearly and without unnecessary jargon.  His
discussion doesn't go far enough, but it's a nice start.

* Mr Matthew Anstey (Charles Sturt University, School of Theology,
Sessional Lecturer)

Check out this web page, with Boersma's dissertation available
online. A great starting place.

http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/paul/diss/

* Geoff Nathan

I have written a few articles on the subject, and I have a
nearly-finished book manuscript. I will include a bibliography of my
work below.