15.752, Qs: Color Terms/L2 Acquisition;Online Writing Style

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 2 15:31:20 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-752. Tue Mar 2 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.752, Qs: Color Terms/L2 Acquisition;Online Writing Style

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:12:59 +0800
From:  "Steven Schaufele" <fcosw5 at mail.scu.edu.tw>
Subject:  Berlin & Kay & ESL for children

2)
Date:  Mon, 1 Mar 2004 07:05:58 -0500 (EST)
From:  jenny goh <jennyg at cyberway.com.sg>
Subject:  about writing styles in the electronic world

Date:  Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:12:59 +0800
From:  "Steven Schaufele" <fcosw5 at mail.scu.edu.tw>

Dear Colleagues,

In my Intro to General Linguistics course the other day, we were discussing
the Berlin & Kay hierarchy of colour terms, and one of my students mentioned
an interesting experience.  She has a part-time job teaching English to
young (pre-school) children here in Taipei, and she's noticed -- repeatedly,
she says -- that it's easier for them to learn the words `black', `white',
and `red' than words like `purple', `gray', or `brown'.  Noticing that the
first three words refer to concepts high on the Berlin & Kay hierarchy --
and therefore, hypothetically, of nearly universal significance -- while the
second group occur quite low on the hierarchy, she wondered if there might
be some connection between her experience and the facts upon which Berlin &
Kay's hierarchy was originally based.

(Be it noted here that Chinese recognizes 10 of Berlin & Kay's 11 `basic'
colours; the one that English has that Chinese doesn't have is pink.)

Has anybody else had a similar experience in foreign-language teaching --
found that words referring to the first few items on the Berlin-Kay
hierarchy are easier for (especially young) learners to master than those
farther down the list?  And has any research been done on possible
correlations between 2LA (or 1LA, for that matter) and the Berlin-Kay
hierarchy?  If there's sufficient interest, i'll post a summary of

Best,
Steven

Steven Schaufele (Ph.D.)
Assoc. Prof. (Linguistics)