15.756, Diss: Translation: Hayward: 'Transformance...'

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 2 16:55:17 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-756. Tue Mar 2 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.756, Diss: Translation: Hayward: 'Transformance...'

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Takako Matsui <tako at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 1 Mar 2004 08:20:12 -0500 (EST)
From:  maysa at comcast.net
Subject:  Transformance: Dialogic Translation Theory...

Date:  Mon, 1 Mar 2004 08:20:12 -0500 (EST)
From:  maysa at comcast.net

Institution: Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Program: English language and literature
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 1997

Author: maysa abou-youssef hayward

Dissertation Title: Transformance: Dialogic Translation Theory and
Cultural Performance

Linguistic Field: Translation, Ling & Literature

Dissertation Director 1: Patrick Murphy

Dissertation Abstract:

In this dissertation, I review the history of translation theories and
then propose a new theory of translation, which I call
"transformance".  I use Bakhtinian dialogics as the theory's base and
incorporate insights available from poststructuralism and
deconstruction, postcolonial theory, recent feminist theory, and
performance theory and theories of the fantastic.  In the body of my
dissertation I use a case study approach to selected translations from
Egyptian Arabic to English to explore how transformance operates
within three areas, ideology, space, and style.  My thesis is that
translation theory, engaging with literary theory, offers new insights
into the ways that literature works on the reader of the translation
and the role of literary translations in and across cultures.