15.826, Jobs: Acoustic Modeling: Internship, Motorola

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Mar 10 05:01:44 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-826. Wed Mar 10 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.826, Jobs: Acoustic Modeling: Internship, Motorola

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:37:38 -0500 (EST)
From:  greg.kozlowski at motorola.com
Subject:  Korean, Japanese, & Acoustic Modeling: Internship, Motorola

Date:  Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:37:38 -0500 (EST)
From:  greg.kozlowski at motorola.com

University or Organization: Motorola
Department: CHIR Multilingual Acoustic Modeling team
Rank of Job: Staffing Account Manager
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics, Computational Linguistics,
		 Phonetics, Text/Corpus Linguistics
Required Language(s): Korean (Code = KKN)

Summer Internship

Department Description
In working with the CHIR Multilingual Acoustic Modeling team, you are
expected to learn the fundamental linguistic role in building an
automatic speech recognition system. Whenever possible, you will be
given opportunities to get hands-on experience with data processing,
data screening, lexicon development, and verification to increase your
learning experience.

Scope of Responsibilities/Expectations
Assist engineering scientists in processing Japanese and Korean speech
data, preparing Japanese and Korean pronunciation dictionaries,
preparing and cleaning transcriptions. Provide expertise in our effort
to incorporate Japanese and Korean phonemes into our existing
multilingual pronunciation inventory.

Specific Knowledge/Skills
Must be fluent in Japanese and Korean. Possess fundamental linguistic
knowledge (a senior undergraduate student in a university linguistics
or equivalent program is desired). Be able to work effectively under
pressure to meet deadlines. Must possess the ability to work well in a
team environment. Fast at learning to use new software tools. Some
computer skills (using Linux/Unix; programming skills such as Perl)
are a plus.

How to Apply
All qualified interested students should register at
www.motorolacareers.com and email their resume directly to: Greg
Kozlowski, Motorola Staffing Account Manager at
greg.kozlowski at motorola.com with a subject line of "REQ 8916".  Due to
the anticipated volume, only those candidates selected will be
contacted further regarding the position.  Thank you in advance for
your understanding, your consideration, and your interest in Motorola.

Motorola is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We
welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce.

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Stafing Account Manager Greg Kozlowski
	1303 E Algonquin Rd
	Schaumburg, 60196
	US Minor Outlying Islands

	Applications are due by 19-Mar-2004

Contact Information:
	Greg Kozlowski
	Email: greg.kozlowski at motorola.com
	Website: http://motorolacareers.com/frames.cfm?cntry=USA&lang=eng

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!