15.881, All: Start of LINGUIST Fund Drive--Please Read!!

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 15 06:04:56 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-881. Mon Mar 15 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.881, All: Start of LINGUIST Fund Drive--Please Read!!

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  15 Mar 2004 00:40:55 -0000
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org
Subject:  2004 LINGUIST List Fund Drive

2)
Date:  15 Mar 2004 00:40:24 -0000
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org
Subject:  How to Donate to LINGUIST...

3)
Date:  15 Mar 2004 05:44:45 -0000
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org
Subject:  Contributors So Far....

Date:  15 Mar 2004 00:40:55 -0000
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org

Dear LINGUIST subscribers,

Believe it or not, a whole year has passed since we asked you to show
your support of LINGUIST by making a donation. It is now time for us
to call upon your generosity once again. You guessed it--the annual
LINGUIST Fund Drive has officially begun!

Last year we raised amounts that exceeded our goal of $50,000--we
ended up raising over $57,000! This year we have set our target at
$60,000. We need your help!

- For the over 1,230 of of you that did donate last year - Thank you
  once again! We hope that the services we provide have been useful
  and have improved, making you feel satisfied that the donation was
  worthwhile. We now humbly request that you extend your generosity
  and support us once again.

- For those of you that might not have supported LINGUIST yet, we hope
  that within the next few weeks we can convince you that by making a
  donation; you really are contributing to a worthy cause.

To anyone just entering the field of linguistics it would appear that
LINGUIST has been around forever. And given its current "high profile"
role in the discipline, it's easy to forget that LINGUIST began with
an unassuming message in December of 1990, announcing the formation of
a list whose goal is "to provide a forum for the discussion of those
issues which interest professional linguists".  You can view this
relic at: http://linguistlist.org/issues/1/1-0.html . In the first
year of the LINGUIST List, listed subscribers numbered 161; there were
no student editors; and the crew numbered two--founders Anthony
Aristar and Helen Dry! During its first year in operation, LINGUIST
published 868 issues under just 5 topics: All, Confs, Calls, Disc, and
Miscellaneous. And as testament to the fact that the "crew" was two
university professors, a majority of the issues were posted on
Sundays, and there were many days when no issues were posted at all!

It is now over thirteen years later, and we have more than 18,700
LINGUIST subscribers in 107 different countries. However, in these
thirteen years, the LINGUIST List has grown into more than a mailing
list. There are now more than 2000 webpages that form the LINGUIST
List website. These pages, together with the gigantic amount of data
that is stored on our database server, are all accessible for free!
Where do you go if you want to find a job or postgraduate position?
Where do you find out about all the latest linguistic publications?
How can you disseminate your PhD dissertation to the community? The
answer to these and many other questions is The LINGUIST List.

In the weeks to come we will send you emails from our student editors,
each one highlighting different aspects of the site and some of the
behind the scenes stuff as well. Each email will also ask you, very
nicely of course, to make a small donation to LINGUIST. The money we
raise each year goes directly to supporting these students (of which I
am one) through their Masters degree, and keeps LINGUIST operating and
improving its services.

And how will we thank you for your kindness? Every year we like to
give our donors a gift, and this year is no exception. In Addition to
all of our regular premiums that you may remember from past fund
drives, this year we are offering a newly-designed long sleeve
T-Shirts and a LINGUIST List mousepad!  Please see our premiums page
at: http://www.linguistlist.org/premiums.html for pictures of the new
shirts along with pictures and descriptions of all of our other
premiums.

The LINGUIST List is free to subscribers, always has been, and
hopefully always will be! Please help us reach our target of
$60,000. Even a small donation really does make a difference!

To donate now using our secure credit card form, please visit:

http://www.linguistlist.org/donate.html

For all the information on how to donate, or how to pledge, please
visit:

http://linguistlist.org/donation.html

Thank you very much for your support of LINGUIST!!