15.892, All: Your Donations Fund Our Staff!

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 16 09:29:07 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-892. Tue Mar 16 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.892, All: Your Donations Fund Our Staff!

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  16 Mar 2004 08:54:18 -0000
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org
Subject:  The Cost of a Grad Student...

2)
Date:  16 Mar 2004 08:56:08 -0000
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org
Subject:  How to Donate...

3)
Date:  16 Mar 2004 08:56:08 -0000
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org
Subject:  Contributors So Far....

Date:  16 Mar 2004 08:54:18 -0000
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org

All throughout the fund drive we tell you over and over again that
your donations go to support our graduate students. Well, we thought
that we would spell out how much it costs to fund our students so that
you can get an idea of why you support is so crucial!

Cost of a Graduate Assistants (GA), Student workers and Trainees at
LINGUIST:

LINGUIST List offers job opportunities to various types of
students. There are GAs, student workers, trainees and permanent
employees.

A GA is a student studying in graduate program at EMU and works for a
department. This position is a position with responsibilities when
some body is at the organization like LINGUIST List. Here a GA works
in his own area of expertise for the linguist community and to serve
them at best. A GA assumes all responsibility for the work area and
has an obligation to work for the department for a contracted
period. For his/her work department pays for tuition fees with a
stipend. Thus a GA is an investment for the department. LINGUIST List
pays $11/hour as stipend and since LL offers it services to
international community, it also hires international students also to
have in-house expertise in languages. We have people who speak
Italian, UK English, Hindi, Talgu, Tamil, Kannada, Japanese, Chinese,
German, Spanish and French etc. Isn't this a great combination of a
crew?

LINGUIST List also pays for tuition fees for its GAs. Current rate of
tuition fees is 548.10/credit hour for international students and
$270.25 as instate tuition fees which means 9,866/academic year for
one international GA and $4,865/ academic year for instate student. LL
has five international GAs and four full time and one half-time
instate GA. This means $71,219/academic year if all GAs take 18 credit
hour (6 classes a year). Also each GA work for about 20 hours per week
during fall/winter semesters (about 35 weeks). This will add another
$77,000 paid as stipend. Tuition mainly comes from grants but stipend
is managed from other sources out of which major source is
donations. Total: $148,219/year. Though most of the tuition fees is
covered by grants, we still need your help as grants do not cover most
of stipend part.

Student workers are temporary employees hired for some specific
task. LL employs graduate students for various tasks including
database programmers for database mining, fashion designers for gift
premium design and various important tasks to run LL smoothly. LL
compensate them @$11/hour and they usually work 10 hours/week. LL
currently has 5 student workers. This will cost about $19,250/year for
fall and winter work. This expense is solely financed by you, all
generous donors. Main objective of fund drive is to generate fund for
paying stipend and student worker salary. Thus, to keep LL running and
to 'feed' these hard workers, your donations are most
appreciated. Total: $19,250/year

Other than this, LL also offers Curricular/Optional Practical
Training. We have 2 students working on OPT and one on CPT. They get
paid @$12/hour. Students on OPT work for 40 hours/week and on CPT work
for 9 hours/week. Total: $37,380/year

Observing all these figures totaling $204,849/year, you can imagine
under how much pressure these 'poor' students work.  Linguist List is
supported by payment for publisher services and also donations for
posting job announcements. The rest of the money needed to fund the
students is provided by you, our donors! As donors to the LINGUIST
List, you provide the financial fuel to the LINGUIST List crew
developing and maintaining the best linguistics website. We depend on
your support to keep LINGUIST running!

Thanks,
Your Financial Editor,
Himanshu Dalal