15.902, Qs: Lexical Polysemy; Greek Diphthong Development

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Mar 17 14:41:55 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-902. Wed Mar 17 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.902, Qs: Lexical Polysemy; Greek Diphthong Development

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:59:19 +0100
From:  "Daniela.Marzo" <Daniela.Marzo at web.de>
Subject:  Questions: lexical polysemy and cognitive/semantic transparency

2)
Date:  Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:30:40 -0500
From:  "Szelog, Mike" <Mike.Szelog at CITIZENSBANK.com>
Subject:  Help with Hist. & Dev. of Greek

Date:  Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:59:19 +0100
From:  "Daniela.Marzo" <Daniela.Marzo at web.de>

Hi!

1) I was wondering if anyone had references to works concerning
experimental investigations into lexical polysemy. I've read a lot on
semantic priming,  lexical decision tasks etc., but these methods are
not of much use to me: they presuppose that I already know which
meanings of a word I study, but I don't. For my purpose (I study the
semantic/cognitive relations between different meanings of the most
frequent polysemous words of English, German, French and Italian) it is,
however, imperative to establish a representative set of meanings...

2) Do you have references to works concerning degrees of
semantic/cognitive transparency ? I only know Dressler's degrees of
formal transparency (DRESSLER, W. U. (1985):  "On the predictiveness of
natural morphology",  in  Journal of Linguistics, 21.  321-337).

Many thanks,

Daniela Marzo