15.951, FYI: Lakoff in Beijing; Ling Closes at Durham

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Mar 21 03:36:38 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-951. Sat Mar 20 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.951, FYI: Lakoff in Beijing; Ling Closes at Durham

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Anne Clarke <anne at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:56:52 +0800
From:  "Dr Thomas Li" <lifuyin at public.qd.sd.cn>
Subject:  Professor George Lakoff Offers Series of Lectures in Beijing

2)
Date:  Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:42:31 -0500 (EST)
From:  "S.J. Hannahs" <s.j.hannahs at durham.ac.uk>
Subject:  Closure of Linguistics at the University of Durham

Date:  Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:56:52 +0800
From:  "Dr Thomas Li" <lifuyin at public.qd.sd.cn>

Dear All,

Prof George Lakoff will give a series of ten lectures in Beijing. The
host university is Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
(BUAA).  Reception will also be offered by Peking University, Tsinghua
University, Beijing Normal University, and Beijing Foreign Studies
University. The topics and venues are attached below. All lectures are
open to the public, and are free. All are welcome!

Thomas Fuyin LI, PhD
Professor of Linguistics

Research Institute for Foreign Languages &
Department of Foreign Languages
Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics (BUAA)
37 Xue Yuan Rd, Haidian District, Beijing.
P.R. China, 100083
Fax:(86)-10-8231-6233
E-mail: thomaslifuyin at hotmail.com

Beihang Linguistics Lecture Series

Speaker: George Lakoff, Professor of Linguistics, University of
California at Berkeley.

Host University: Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
(BUAA)

Lecture One:

April 9, Friday; 9:00 - 11:30 am, Ruxin International Conference
Center , BUAA.

Topic: Generative Semantics: The Background to Cognitive Linguistics
Generative semantics was an early attempt to unite logic and
transformational grammar. It failed, because both logic and
transformational grammar failed. This lecture will discuss what it was
and the reasons why transformational grammar and logic failed. Their
failure laid the groundwork for cognitive linguistics.

Lecture Two:

April 9, Friday, 2:30 - 5:00 pm, Ruxin International Conference
Center, BUAA

Topic: Cognitive Semantics: The Basic Mechanisms of Thought
An overview of cognitive semantics: image-schemas, frames, metaphor,
metonymy, prototypes, mental spaces and blends.

Lecture Three:

April 10, Saturday, 9:00 - 11:30 am, Ruxin International Conference
Center, BUAA

Topic: Cognitive Semantics: The Basic Mechanisms of Thought
Detailed discussion on specific issues.

Lecture Four:

April 10, Saturday, 2:30 - 5:00 pm, Ruxin International Conference
Center, BUAA

Topic: Cognitive Semantics: The Basic Mechanisms of Thought
Detailed discussion on specific issues.

Lecture Five:

April 11, Sunday, 9:00 - 11:30 am, Ruxin International Conference
Center, BUAA

Topic: Constructions: The Structure of Grammar
A discussion of constructions, beginning with the class of
there-constructions in English.

Lecture Six:

April 11, Sunday, 2:30 - 5:00 pm, Ruxin International Conference
Center, BUAA

Topic: The Neural Theory of Language
All the mechanisms of cognitive linguistics fit together at the neural
level. This is an introductory overview of NTL, an introduction to
what mirror neuron research contributes to the notion of what a
concept is, and an introduction to the theory of cogs.

Lecture Seven:

April 13,Tuesday,9:00 - 11:30 am, Lecture Hall 103, TB4, Beijing Normal
University.

Topic: A Field Guide to Poetic Metaphor
This lecture is about how we can use metaphor "to show how our minds
get hold of the world"."The intellectual adventure begun in Metaphors
We Live By is here extended with the verve and resourcefulness we'd
hoped for"

Lecture Eight:

April 13, Tuesday, 2:30 - 5:00 pm, Sir Run Run Shaw Hall, Beijing
Foreign Studies University.

Topic: The Implications for Philosophy
How cognitive linguistics changes the idea of what philosophy is.

Lecture Nine:

April 14,Wednesday, 2:30 - 5:00 pm, Science Buldg, 207,Peking
University.

Topic: Political Linguistics
The application of cognitive linguistics to political analysis in
America.

Lecture Ten:

April 15, Thursday, 2:30 - 5:00 pm, Tsinghua University.

Topic: Overview
An overall picture of cognitive linguistics, what it means, and where
it is going.