15.966, Qs: Writing System Directionality; Infixing/OT

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 22 19:50:10 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-966. Mon Mar 22 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.966, Qs: Writing System Directionality; Infixing/OT

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:32:29 -0500 (EST)
From:  Rebecca Treiman <rtreiman at wustl.edu>
Subject:  Directionality in writing

2)
Date:  Sun, 21 Mar 2004 02:14:02 -0500 (EST)
From:  mark leci <markleci at hotmail.com>
Subject:  infixing pre-OT

Date:  Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:32:29 -0500 (EST)
From:  Rebecca Treiman <rtreiman at wustl.edu>

Some writing systems are arranged in columns, and others in rows. They
may go from right to left or left to right. Virtually all writing
systems, though, go from top to bottom.  Very few, if any, have
adopted a consistent bottom-to-top direction. I have looked for
discussions of why bottom-to-top writing is so rare, but haven't been
able to find much information on this. Any input would be appreciated.