15.968, Sum: Expletive Infixation

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 22 23:01:47 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-968. Mon Mar 22 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.968, Sum: Expletive Infixation

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steve Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:19:00 -0500 (EST)
From:  Mircea Sauciuc <msauciu at siue.edu>
Subject:  Re: Expletive Infixation

Date:  Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:19:00 -0500 (EST)
From:  Mircea Sauciuc <msauciu at siue.edu>

I want to thank everyone that has provided exceptional suggestions to
my question (Linguist 15.860): ''...regarding infixation and adequate
articles written on the topic.  I'm an undergraduate student writing a
paper on Expletive Infixation and would like a lead to some papers.
I've so far discovered one, American Speech, McMillan, 1980.  Today, I
even copied from Language, Prosodic Structure and Expletive
Infixation, McCarthy, 1982.  However, I want to know if there are any
more papers written on the topic.''

Thanks to James L. Fidelholtz, Sandy Steever, Ingo Plag, Bill Morris,
Ron Artstein, Fred Cummins, Phaedra Royle, Roderick McGuire, Sheri
Wells-Jensen, and Michael T. Hammond.  All were very informative and
helpful in my research for questions and answers.

''James D. McCawley wrote a paper, ''Where you can shove infixes''
sometime in the 1980s. I believe it has been anthologized in one of
his volumes of papers.'' - Sandy Steever

''there is an introductory treatment based on Hammond's English
Phonology book in chapter 4.6. of my 2003 book: Plag, Ingo (2003)
Word-formation in English. Cambridge: CUP'' - Ingo Plag

''Zwicky, Arnold M., Salus, Peter H., Binnick, Robert I. and Vanek,
Anthony L. (eds.) 1971. Studies Out In Left Field: Defamatory Essays
Presented To James D. McCawley On The Occasion Of His 33rd Or 34th
Birthday. Edmonton: Linguistic Research (Current Inquiry Into Language
And Linguistics 4).'' - Bill Morris

''...place to check is the journal _Maledicta_, though nothing
specific comes to mind.  Also, a nagging recollection tells me that
something was published in _Linguistic inquiry_, maybe in the 70s or
80s (probably a squib) on such infixation.'' - James L. Fidelholtz

'' - McCawley, James D. (1978). Where you can shove infixes. In Alan
Bell and Joan Bybee Hooper (eds.), Syllables and Segments,
pp.213-221. Amsterdam: North-Holland.

- Dorothy Siegel's 1974 MIT dissertation'' - Ron Artstein

''Stuart Davis at Indiana University did some of this work, and he can
point you to the other main characters.'' - Fred Cummins

''I've written on this somewhat myself. Some discussion of it appears
in my 1999 book ''English Phonology'' (Oxford). I also discuss it in a
paper in the journal _Language_ in 1999 as well as I recall.'' -
Michael T. Hammond

Thanks again for all your wonderful assistance.