15.1027, Disc: Re: How China discovered America...?

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 29 04:59:30 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1027. Sun Mar 28 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1027, Disc: Re: How China discovered America...?

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:18:34 -0600
From:  Ken_Decker at sil.org
Subject:  Re: How China discovered America

2)
Date:  Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:38:36 +0100
From:  Rémy Viredaz <remy.viredaz at bluewin.ch>
Subject:  Disc: Re: 15.986: How China discovered America...?

3)
Date:  Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:24:23 -0600
From:  Mike_Cahill at sil.org
Subject:  Re: 15.986, Disc: How China discovered America...?

Date:  Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:18:34 -0600
From:  Ken_Decker at sil.org

Several years ago, in Belize, I met a lady that was doing research
comparing possible cognates between Chinese and Mayan varieties. What
I saw of the data looked like coincidental similarities, but there was
a large number of comparisons.

A search on the Internet led me to an article from Harvard reviewing
the evidence for Chinese contact with the Americas:
http://hussle.harvard.edu/~zhang/docs/Pre-Columbian%20Contact.pdf

It seems there is room for more research, and linguistics may provide
valuable clues.

- Ken Decker