15.1036, Qs: English 'At All'; First Linguistics Journal

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 29 21:06:31 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1036. Mon Mar 29 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1036, Qs: English 'At All'; First Linguistics Journal

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:16:59 -0500 (EST)
From:  Ronnie Wilbur <wilbur at purdue.edu>
Subject:  semantics of 'at all'

2)
Date:  Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:03:31 -0500 (EST)
From:  Mohammad Etedali <etedali at hotmail.com>
Subject:  First Journal in Linguistics

Date:  Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:16:59 -0500 (EST)
From:  Ronnie Wilbur <wilbur at purdue.edu>

Can anyone refer me to analyses of the English expression 'at all'?
For example, 'he doesn't eat mean at all' or 'she didn't think it was
funny at all'. It does not appeaar to be a 'regular' negative polarity
item, in that 'do you want any of this at all' is marginal for me
except when it means 'will you not want any of this eventually, so I
can eat the rest of it?', whereas 'don't you want any of this at all?'
is just fine.  Thanks in advance.

Subject-Language: English; Code: ENG