15.1043, Disc: Re: How China discovered America...?

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 30 08:34:29 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1043. Tue Mar 30 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1043, Disc: Re: How China discovered America...?

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:45:21 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Harold F. Schiffman" <haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu>
Subject:  How China discovered America (or the World)

2)
Date:  Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:41:31 +0800 (CST)
From:  Edward McDonald<laomaa20023 at yahoo.com.cn>
Subject:  Re: Disc: How China discovered America...?

3)
Date:  Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:28:57 +0100
From:  "rblench" <r.blench at odi.org.uk>
Subject:  Re: 15.986, Disc: How China discovered America...?

Date:  Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:45:21 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Harold F. Schiffman" <haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu>

I'm no expert on this, and have serious doubts, too, but I seem to
remember somebody once reporting the discovery of an early (Ming or
Qing) Chinese coin in California, in a site where it couldn't have
been "planted" or accidentally dropped at a later date.  I don't know
any more about this, but it seemed to indicate at the time I read it
that maybe somebody was blown off course and shipwrecked in
California?  The same way that some early English explorer
(Vancouver?) discovered a Japanese "slave" being held by the Macah
tribe in (what is now) Washington State--the guy was shipwrecked,
blown off course, drifted on the Japan current until found (and
enslaved) by the Macah.

 A google search on this topic reveals that some Chinese coins (all
found in areas where 19th century Chinese immigrants worked, and known
as "wen")

	" found in nineteenth century overseas Chinese sites are somewhat
	surprising in that the average date of issue precedes the date
	of site occupation by approximately two centuries."
	http://www.isis.csuhayward.edu/cesmith/yema/coinchron.html

So maybe it's all spurious...

- Hal Schiffman