15.1541, Qs: Typesetting with DocBook; Devoiced Consonants

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 13 21:23:57 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1541. Thu May 13 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1541, Qs: Typesetting with DocBook; Devoiced Consonants

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steve Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 12 May 2004 03:16:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Emiliano Guevara <emiliano at lingue.unibo.it>
Subject:  Editing/typesetting with DocBook

2)
Date:  Wed, 12 May 2004 20:54:15 +0600
From:  "Yuri Tambovtsev" <yutamb at mail.cis.ru>
Subject:  are the voiced consonants devoiced in all Slavonic languages and Italian?

Date:  Wed, 12 May 2004 03:16:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Emiliano Guevara <emiliano at lingue.unibo.it>

Dear Linguist-listers,

I have recently started to look for alternative editing/typesetting
methods (i.e. alternative to MS Word, Latex, etc.).

An apparently wonderful system is the DocBook standard, a very popular
XML -and SGML- vocabulary for writing technical documentation,
allowing you to convert a single source file into a variety of formats
-.html, .rtf, .pdf, .ps).  Some advantages of DocBook: it is free, it
works on any OS and it uses Unicode character encoding. However,
Docbook was designed mainly for computer-related texts and not for
academic purposes.

I have two queries for you:

1. Have any of you used Docbook to write linguistics papers or
dissertations? (please tell me what your impressions are)

2. Do you know if there are already any XSLT stylesheets for specific
linguistic purposes?

I will post a summary of your replies. Thank you very much in advance,

Emiliano Guevara
Dipartimento di Lingue e Lett. Straniere
Università degli Studi di Bologna, Italia
emiliano at lingue.unibo.it