15.1606, Sum: English 'Booting'

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 20 15:57:44 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1606. Thu May 20 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1606, Sum: English 'Booting'

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steve Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 18 May 2004 16:17:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Martin Paviour-Smith <m.paviour-smith at massey.ac.nz>
Subject:  Sum - 'booting'

Date:  Tue, 18 May 2004 16:17:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Martin Paviour-Smith <m.paviour-smith at massey.ac.nz>

Re: (Linguist 15.1586)

Thanks to all who supplied me with the meaning of the slang term
'booting'. To date this includes the following experts:

Rich Alderson
Marc Pierce
Paul Justice
Sikozu Johnson
Kathleen Ward
Kim (from Essen University)
joel walters
David Kaiser
Jack Hall
F Baube
Kelly Vincent
Cynthia G. Clopper
Vicki White

It appears that 'booting' is a wide spread and well known American
slang term for vomiting, particular when induced by excessive alcohol,
dating back at least 30 years. Something known down here as spewing,
chucking, chundering etc. In my own student days more spectacular and
deliberate displays of this activity were known as 'pelicans' and
'helicopters'. I will leave it to your imagination.  So now my class
will have a better idea of the identity these students are
constructing using this term.

Thanks

Martin Paviour-Smith
Massey University