15.1608, Qs: Eliciting Minimal Pairs; Bengali Word Frequency

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 20 18:25:52 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1608. Thu May 20 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1608, Qs: Eliciting Minimal Pairs; Bengali Word Frequency

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 18 May 2004 04:55:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Flavia Chetcuti <flavling at di-ve.com>
Subject:  Eliciting Minimal Pairs

2)
Date:  Wed, 19 May 2004 12:58:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Hia Datta <hdatta at gc.cuny.edu>
Subject:  Help with Bengali word frequency resource

Date:  Tue, 18 May 2004 04:55:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Flavia Chetcuti <flavling at di-ve.com>

Dear Linguists,

I am a post-graduate student in linguistics doing research on
different varieties of Maltese. I need to elicit specific minimal
pairs in an informal situation in order to analyse their vowel
formants. I have been finding it very difficult to decide on the
methodology to use in eliciting this informal data, as most tasks that
could be given to participants would formalise the situation. I would
be interested in receiving any suggestions anyone might have with
respect to eliciting minimal pairs in an informal situation, that is,
in a situation where participants use dialectal varieties.

Thanking you in advance,

Flavia

Subject-Language: Maltese;Rural West Maltese;Standard Maltese; Code: MLS
Language-Family:  Semitic; Code: AFF