15.1635, Qs: English Tense Survey; Ukranian Devoicing

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 25 01:16:34 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1635. Mon May 24 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1635, Qs: English Tense Survey; Ukranian Devoicing

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 23 May 2004 10:47:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Katrin Voigt <voigt at hrz.tu-chemnitz.de>
Subject:  Looking for participants for online experiment

2)
Date:  Fri, 14 May 2004 19:52:56 +0600
From:  "Yuri Tambovtsev" <yutamb at mail.cis.ru>
Subject:  are Ukrainian voiced consonants devoiced at the end of the word?

Date:  Sun, 23 May 2004 10:47:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Katrin Voigt <voigt at hrz.tu-chemnitz.de>

I am a Phd student at Chemnitz University of Technology (Germany) and
I am writing a Phd thesis in the field of English linguistics. My
paper is concerned with ''Cognitive Models of English Tense/Aspect
Forms: Present Perfect and Simple Past''.

I am currently running an online experiment with which I would like to
find out in which contexts the present perfect is used correctly and
what kind of thoughts are involved in choosing between alternative
tense/aspect forms. The experiment consists of three parts
(demographic information, pre- or posttest (grammaticality judging and
correction of 9 sentences partly taken from Patricia East 1992 and
correction of mistakes),and the experiment (10 situation descriptions
and a continuation for which either a present perfect or simple past
verb form needs to be chosen/supplied). According to my experience the
experiment takes about 20 minutes.

I'd be grateful for participants with various mother tongues and
different levels of English. I'd suggest this experiment to university
students and linguists all over the world. The more people take part,
the more detailed my picture about the present perfect will finally
become. Thank you very much!

For more information please send me an email.

Katrin Voigt