15.1647, Jobs: Zande: Consultant, De Taalstudio, Netherland

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 25 22:12:19 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1647. Tue May 25 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1647, Jobs: Zande: Consultant, De Taalstudio, Netherland

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Tomoko Okuno <tomoko at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Mon, 24 May 2004 09:26:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:  sdikker at taalstudio.nl
Subject:  Zande/Lang Analysis: Freelance consultant, De Taalstudio, Netherlands

Date:  Mon, 24 May 2004 09:26:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:  sdikker at taalstudio.nl

University or Organization: De Taalstudio
Rank of Job: Freelance consultant
Specialty Areas: Language Analysis
Required Language(s): Zande (Code = ZAN)

CONSULTANTS:  Zande language (Sudan)

De Taalstudio - a Dutch organization specialized in linguistic
projects and products - is urgently looking for linguistic consultants
on Zande. The consultants are asked to provide commentaries on
language analyses produced by the Dutch Immigration Service (IND)
about the language of applicants for asylum who claim to speak
Zande. The work can be carried out anywhere in the world. Some payment
is available for the consultant.

Linguists who have published about any language or the sociolinguistic
situation in the area and who are interested to bring their knowledge
to bear in such cases, are urgently requested to contact Suzanne
Dikker of de Taalstudio BY E-MAIL. Please provide us with a CV or the
URL to your personal website, stating the languages and countries that
you consider yourself an expert on, as well as some bibliographical
details of some relevant publications.

BACKGROUND

Many governments, including the Dutch, use 'language analysis' as a
tool to establish the country of origin of immigrants. These analyses,
based on the language spoken by the asylum seeker, are commonly
carried out by native speakers with little or no training in
linguistics. Therefore, the linguistic reasoning is often poor, which
makes it hard or even impossible for the asylum seeker to argue
against the conclusions drawn in such reports. An expert second
opinion on the linguistic variety spoken by the applicant can be of
vital importance for the final decision about the asylum seeker's
future.

De Taalstudio is a small Dutch linguistic company that functions as an
intermediary between professional linguists and legal institutions
that represent asylum seekers. With our work, we hope to enhance
professional standards in language analysis and contribute to fair
trials for people who apply for political asylum in the
Netherlands. Our primary goal is to produce linguistically sound and
independent reports.

Should you have any doubts or questions, please do not hesitate to
contact us. More information regarding our activities can also be
found on our website http://www.taalstudio.nl/linguiststaalstudio.html

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Suzanne Dikker
	Postbus 12
	Monnickendam, 1140 AA
	Netherlands

	Position is open until filled.

Contact Information:

	Suzanne Dikker.
	Email: sdikker at taalstudio.nl
	Tel: +31 6 27 38 56 72
	Website: http://www.taalstudio.nl

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!