15.3087, Diss: Comp Ling: Neumann: 'A Uniform...'

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 1 18:05:20 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-3087. Mon Nov 01 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.3087, Diss: Comp Ling: Neumann: 'A Uniform...'

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Takako Matsui <tako at linguistlist.org>

Date: 31-Oct-2004
From: Guenter Neumann < neumann at dfki.de >
Subject: A Uniform Computational Model for Natural Language Parsing and Generation

Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 13:00:36
From: Guenter Neumann < neumann at dfki.de >

Institution: Saarland University
Program: Department of Computational Linguistics and Phonetics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 1994

Author: Guenter Neumann

Dissertation Title: A Uniform Computational Model for Natural Language Parsing
and Generation

Dissertation URL: http://www.dfki.de/~neumann/publications/diss/diss.html

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics

Dissertation Director(s):
Hans Uszkoreit
Wolfgang Wahlster

Dissertation Abstract:

We present a new model of natural language processing in which natural
language parsing and generation are strongly interleaved tasks. Interleaving of
parsing and generation is important if we assume that natural language
understanding and production are not only performed in isolation  but also can
work together to obtain subsentential interactions in text revision or dialog
systems.

The core of the model is a new uniform agenda-driven tabular algorithm, called
UTA. Although uniformly defined, UTA is able to configure itself dynamically for
either parsing or generation, because it is fully driven by the structure of the
actual input---a string for parsing and a semantic expression for generation.

Efficient interleaving of parsing and generation is obtained through {\em item
sharing} between parsing and generation. This novel processing strategy
facilitates exchanging items (i.e., partial results) computed in one direction
automatically to the other direction as well.

The advantage of UTA in combination with the item sharing method is that we are
able to extend the use of memoization techniques even to the case of an
interleaved approach. In order to demonstrate UTA's utility  for developing
high-level performance methods, we present a new algorithm for {\em incremental
self-monitoring} during natural language production.