15.3110, Qs: Reduplication; English Phrasal Verbs into Polish

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 4 20:31:33 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-3110. Thu Nov 04 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.3110, Qs: Reduplication; English Phrasal Verbs into Polish

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Gayathri Sriram <gayatri at linguistlist.org>

Date: 03-Nov-2004
From: Heather Newell < heather.newell at mail.mcgill.ca >
Subject: Reduplication

2)
Date: 02-Nov-2004
From: Iwona Kaczor < malai at interia.pl >
Subject: English Phrasal Verbs into Polish

Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:28:40
From: Heather Newell < heather.newell at mail.mcgill.ca >

Hello,
I am currently looking into the cause of reduplication in examples of the
following type:

1) pick-er upp-er

2) bag-ou-ig-ou 'little boats'Breton boat-PL-diminutive-PL

The above are distinguishable from reduplication like

3) father shmather (c.f. Nevins and Vaux 2003, Nevins and Fitzpatrick ms.)

in that the reduplicants in (1) and (2)do not seem to be (part of) the
realization of additional morphology - they add nothing to the meaning of
the construction.

I would appreciate greatly being pointed to any other examples of
reduplication with these properties, or sources that discuss them.  I will
post a summary of all responses.

thanks and best,
Heather Newell

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology; Phonology