15.3236, Qs: Reports about Andrei Tolstyk; Japanese Kanji

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 18 22:05:22 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-3236. Thu Nov 18 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.3236, Qs: Reports about Andrei Tolstyk; Japanese Kanji

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steven Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date: 17-Nov-2004
From: Christine Haunz < christin at ling.ed.ac.uk >
Subject: Reports about Andrei Tolstyk

2)
Date: 17-Nov-2004
From: Rodney Biddle < rbiddle at gpwu.ac.jp >
Subject: Japanese kanji

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:58:16
From: Christine Haunz < christin at ling.ed.ac.uk >

Dear Linguists,

I have come across a newspaper article [1] describing the media coverage
(''A News Item and its History'') of the story of Andrei Tolstyk, a
7-year-old boy from the Altai region of Russia, who was neglected by his
parents and is now in an orphanage. The original reports from August this
year ([2], [3], [4]), all by the same Moscow correspondent and a little
rich in Jungle Book references, mention ''speech and hearing
difficulties''; the newer article says that the boy is now learning to speak.

I'm a little unsure about the credibility of this story, and would be
interested to hear from anyone who has more information, or knows whether
there are any linguists who are investigating or planning to investigate.

Thank you!

Christine Haunz

[1] http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/inhalt/0,1518,327734,00.html (in German)

[2]
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3582191&thesection=news&thesubsection=world
(full article)

[3] http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/story.jsp?story=547689
(with subscription)

[4] http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=547785
(with subscription)

Christine Haunz
University of Edinburgh
Theoretical and Applied Linguistics
40 George Square
Edinburgh
EH8 9LL

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition