15.3238, Sum: Possible Book in Coptic

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 18 22:56:31 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-3238. Thu Nov 18 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.3238, Sum: Possible Book in Coptic

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 18-Nov-2004
From: L. Pazzaglia < pazzaglia at yahoo.com >
Subject: Possible Book in Coptic

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:53:26
From: L. Pazzaglia < pazzaglia at yahoo.com >

Regarding query http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/15/15-3228.html

http://photobucket.com/albums/v237/pazzaglia/what%20is%20it/

Thanks everyone for your replies on my query as to what this book was!
I've received lots of information and I've been told that it's customary
for me to follow-up and let you know what I've found out.

- I received confirmation from several respondants that it is *not* written
in Coptic.

- The book is written in Ethiopic, more precisely Ge'ez or Amharic (if more
recent)- the language of Christian Ethiopians. Several of you have sent me
this website where I could see for myself:
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ethiopic.htm

- According to just one respondant, this is one of the ''Magic Books''
which is the ''Ehtiopian Bndlet of Righteousness''.  E.A.W.Budge has made
an English translation which I will hunt down. I managed to find a photo of
it online and it is very similar to mine - though it is written on
parchment and not leather (don't know if this distinction matters):
http://www.hmml.org/20040210_Archive/resources/EthiopiaExhibit/Bandlet.html

- Acoording to another respondant, this is a syllabary and a couple of
others have told me that it's a Lithurgical text (this information does not
necessarily conflict or agree with the previous statement)

- I received a recommendation to contact a German scholar who has written a
book in Ge'ez - which I will contact.

- I did get one complaint on the quality of the photos ; ) - sorry I don't
have a really steady hand but I will invest in a stand for my digital camera.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to look at the book and comment
-- if you have new infromation to share please feel free to send it to me!

Linguistic Field(s): Writing Systems