15.3260, Jobs: English/Discourse Analyst: Linguist, CA

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 20 06:05:46 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-3260. Sat Nov 20 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.3260, Jobs: English/Discourse Analyst: Linguist, CA

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date: 19-Nov-2004
From: Katie Laine < klaine at h5technologies.com >
Subject: English & Discourse Analyst: Discourse Analyst/Linguist, H5 Technologies, CA, USA

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 00:57:51
From: Katie Laine < klaine at h5technologies.com >

University or Organization: H5 Technologies
Job Rank: Discourse Analyst/Linguist
Specialty Areas: Discourse Analysis
Required Language: English

H5 Technologies, Inc. is a privately held, Draper Fisher Jurvetson funded
company in San Francisco's SOMA district.  We provide accelerated document
discovery services to law firms and corporate counsels through both direct
sales and outsourced service contracts, in partnership with leading
litigation support firms and technology partners.  The combination of H5's
patented technology with advanced linguistic analysis has enabled us to
consistently outperform alternative approaches to document discovery on
price, quality and speed.

Overview:
Our Professional Services Group consults with litigants and their legal
teams to devise a classification scheme, and then trains our patented
software engine to automatically classify documents in the collection.
Anticipating a period of rapid growth, H5 is seeking Linguists to work
closely with research analysts and document reviewers on a 6 to 8 person
project team, playing an active role in all aspects of a client engagement.

Primary Responsibilities:
- Rapidly developing an understanding of new fields
- Reading a wide variety of documents, from email to academic articles;
   synthesizing large amounts of information into a coherent picture of the
   community that produced and used it
- Researching factual issues in complex litigation
- Interviewing subject matter experts
- Analyzing linguistic data
- Researching large corpora for linguistic patterns
- Identifying and modeling processes and relationships in a community
- Designing, building, and testing H5's unique and proprietary knowledge
   bases

Key Competencies:
- Demonstrated understanding of role of syntax in language.
- Mastery of the English language.
- An interest in researching and modeling another community's structure and
   the interests, goals, and constraints that shape the actions of members
   of that community's experience in ethnography or anthropology a plus.
- Leadership skills, personal incentive and a demonstrated ability to
   initiate, develop, and successfully conclude projects.
- A sharp eye for detail, precise thinking, ability to make close,
   analytical judgments, and a practiced sense of order and organization.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, both autonomously and
   collaboratively.
- Experience in a software development environment a plus.
- Basic computer and software competency in a PC/Windows environment,
   including Microsoft Office application. Basic familiarity with Unix and
   PERL programming skills a plus.

Minimal Qualifications:
- Solid academic credentials: graduate-level coursework in linguistics
   preferred.
- Experience applying linguistic expertise to real language data -
   experience in Corpus Analysis, Text Analysis, Conversational Analysis, or
   Computational Linguistics a plus.

H5 Technologies fosters a culture that rewards personal excellence in the
pursuit of our common goals and is extraordinarily respectful of the

individual and of the creative, intellectual, and cultural diversity of our
team. Our culture has allowed us to attract and retain talented individuals
who are driven by a vision of the way we will transform the practice of
litigation.

To apply: Send resume to dajobs at h5technologies.com

Principals only, recruiters, please do not contact.

H5 Technologies is an equal opportunity employer.

Address for Applications:

        Recruiter Barbara Saunders
        520 Third St. #17
        3rd Floor
        San Francisco, CA 94107
        United States of America

Application Deadline: 01-Jan-2005

Contact Information:

        Director, HR Katie Laine
        Email: klaine at h5technologies.com
        Phone: 415.625.6729
        Website: http://www.h5tech.com

This announcement was not accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List.
It is being posted as a service to the discipline.