15.3316, Qs: Bad Language by Gender; 'Like an Arrow'

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 27 19:34:08 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-3316. Sat Nov 27 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.3316, Qs: Bad Language by Gender; 'Like an Arrow'

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steven Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date: 25-Nov-2004
From: Terri Phillips < terri.phillips at btinternet.com >
Subject: Bad Language

2)
Date: 25-Nov-2004
From: Harriet Ottenheimer < mahafan at ksu.edu >
Subject: 'Like an Arrow'

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 14:31:43
From: Terri Phillips < terri.phillips at btinternet.com >

I am embarking on a dissertation about bad language with a particular focus
on gender ie. do men and women swear differently?  There is a mountain of
information about bad language, and an even bigger mountain about women's
language - but does anyone know if there's been anything written on this
topic that I can use in my literature review?  I'm also looking at what
constitutes a swearword in 2004 in the UK.  Thanks in advance for any
assistance any linguists out there can give me.

Regards,

Terri Phillips.

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics