15.2781, Diss: Applied Ling: Chappell: 'Exploring...'

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 5 15:59:15 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-2781. Tue Oct 05 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.2781, Diss: Applied Ling: Chappell: 'Exploring...'

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Takako Matsui <tako at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Oct-2004
From: Phil Chappell < phil_chappell at access.inet.co.th >
Subject: Exploring the Nature of Small Group Interaction of Thai Adult English Language Learners in the Language-learning Classroom

Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:52:42
From: Phil Chappell < phil_chappell at access.inet.co.th >

Institution: University of Wollongong
Program: Doctor of Education - TESOL
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 27-Jun-1905

Author: Phil Chappell

Dissertation Title: Exploring the Nature of Small Group Interaction of Thai
Adult English Language Learners in the Language-learning Classroom

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition

Dissertation Director(s):
Beverly Derewianka

Dissertation Abstract:

I am interested in inquiring into the ways that Thai adult learners of
English assist each other to learn through their social interaction in the
language learning classroom. How and in what ways do learners help each
other in learning activity? In this inquiry, I will employ discourse
analysis within a functional linguistic perspective (analyzing language
from the interpersonal perspective, utilizing Appraisal analysis and other
interpersonal resources) as well as a point of view from sociology of
education (Bernstein's pedagogic discourse) to unpack the social
interactions that occur during English language learning for Thai adults.
Further, I will collect and analyse data drawn from discussions over
play-backs (or stimulated recalls) of video recordings of classroom
interaction, as well as learners' oral and written narratives of their
personal learning histories during schooling to address the problems I have
posed. Field notes from passive participant observation will add greater
depths of meanings and interpretations to the inquiry.