15.2899, Sum: Nushu Language

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 14 05:52:03 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-2899. Thu Oct 14 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.2899, Sum: Nushu Language

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 11-Oct-2004
From: Gabriela Pérez Báez < gp22 at buffalo.edu >
Subject: Nushu Language

Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:38:57
From: Gabriela Pérez Báez < gp22 at buffalo.edu >

As part of my work teaching a course entitled Language in its Social
Setting, I researched the topic of Nushu. I was introduced to the topic by
a BBC article published on the web on 9/23/04 reporting that 'la anciana
Yang Huanyi murió a sus más de noventa años de edad, y con ella se llevó
el único idioma en el mundo hablado solo por mujeres' (my translation:
Yang Huanyi, in her nineties, passed away, taking with her with only
language in the world spoken only by women).

A first pass at resources on the web showed that Nushu (or Nu Shu) is in
fact a writing system invented by a community of women in the Hunan
province of China at a time when literacy education was forbidden to them.
In researching the subject, a number of LinguistList readers contributed
sources of information. Below, I am including a list of resources
suggested by them, along with some other I was able to pinpoint. I hope
this is useful, although not much will be news to those who have looked
into the topic in the past.

INTERNET:
Sites I consulted on the topic did not provide content of scholarly
quality, unfortunately. In particular, mass media articles were
particularly misleading in clarifying whether Nushu is a written or spoken
system of communication.

There are a dozen or so sites devoted to the topic, and the most useful is
http://www2.ttcn.ne.jp/~orie/home.htm
maintained by Prof. Orie Endo of Bunkyo University in Japan.