15.2425, Jobs: Anthropological Ling: Asst Prof, CA

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 1 02:46:49 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2425. Tue Aug 31 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2425, Jobs: Anthropological Ling: Asst Prof, CA

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:47:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:  kpeck at mail.sdsu.edu
Subject:  Jobs: Anthropological Ling: Asst Prof, San Diego State University, CA

Date:  Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:47:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:  kpeck at mail.sdsu.edu

University or Organization: San Diego State University
Department: Anthropology
Rank of Job: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Anthropological Linguistics, Language Renewal,
		 Preservation or Maintenance

The Department of Anthropology at San Diego State University invites
applications for a tenure track faculty appointment in linguistic
anthropology at the Assistant Professor rank to begin August 2005, PhD
in Anthropology required. We seek candidates with active projects
relating to language renewal, preservation, or maintenance that will
complement our developing emphasis in applied anthropology. Candidates
should have strengths both in descriptive linguistics and in
sociocultural anthropology. Candidates will be expected to teach a
basic course in descriptive linguistics as well as a course in the
ethnography of their area of regional interest, language and culture,
applied linguistic anthropology, and related cultural or linguistic
topics.

Preference will be given to candidates whose geographic focus is on
the Pacific Rim, specifically Asia, Southeast Asia, Oceania, the
Southwestern U.S., California, Mexico, or ethnic populations from
these areas in Southern California. A strong record of research,
publications, collaborations within and outside the academic
community, and acquisition of external funding should be
evident. Candidates should show evidence of success in working with a
diverse student population and in relating to community groups. We are
especially interested in candidates who can involve our students in
research and who are prepared to participate in joint projects in the
department or university. We are a department committed to the
four-field approach and we seek a candidate who also supports the
four-field model.

The search committee will begin screening applications on Dec.1, 2004
and will continue until the position is filled. Salary commensurate
with experience.

Applications, including letter stating qualifications, vita, and
letters from 3 referees, should be sent.

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Chair, Search Committee Philip Greenfeld
	Department of Anthropology, San Diego State University
	5500 Campanile Drive
	San Diego, CA 92182-4443
	United States of America

	Applications are due by 01-Dec-2004

Contact Information:

	Department Chair Philip Greenfeld
	Email: pgreenfe at mail.sdsu.edu
	Tel: 619-594-6480
	Fax: 619-594-1150
	Website: http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~anthro/

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!