15.2493, Disc: Re: Open-Access Journals/Ling Publishing

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 9 11:40:56 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2493. Thu Sep 9 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2493, Disc: Re: Open-Access Journals/Ling Publishing

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 1 Sep 2004 22:54:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:  "Ahmad R. Lotfi" <arlotfi at yahoo.com>
Subject:  Re: Open-Access Journals/Ling Publishing

2)
Date:  Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:05:53 -0300
From:  "jeanette ireland" <jireland at primus.ca>
Subject:  Re: Open-Access Jounrnals/Ling Publishing

3)
Date:  Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:15:38 -0400
From:  "dave odden" <odden at ling.ohio-state.edu>
Subject:  Re: 15.2389, Disc: Re: Open-Access Journals/Ling Publishing

Date:  Wed, 1 Sep 2004 22:54:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:  "Ahmad R. Lotfi" <arlotfi at yahoo.com>

Dear linguists,

I think the biggest obstacle to the replacement of traditional
publications with e-journals is NOT a question of money (traditional
publishers' financial interests) but one of academic monopoly:
electronic publication will make it easier for authors to get
published, and this will finally result in the liberalisation of the
science; what people of high academic authority won't necessarily
like. They'd prefer a slower process that makes publication of works
an exclusive right. Even if authoritative e-journals happen to be
still in the monopoly of a handful of academics, it will be still
unsafe for people in power in our major linguistics departments as the
very culture of using e-journals as the major publication tools will
pave the way for avantegarde theorists to challenge established ideas
. As printing industry liberalised the science of the time back in the
middle ages, electronic publication of journals will have devestating
effects on our dogmas today. Are we prepared for such a big step
forward?

Ahmad R. Lotfi

English Dept.
Azad University,