15.2543, Disc: Final Posting: Open-Access Journals

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 14 12:57:56 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2543. Tue Sep 14 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2543, Disc: Final Posting: Open-Access Journals

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:52:58 +1200
From:  Stephen Anderson <stephen.anderson at yale.edu>
Subject:  Re: 15.2354, Disc: New: Open-Access Journals/Ling Publishing

2)
Date:  Mon, 13 Sep 2004 05:04:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Martin Haspelmath <haspelmath at eva.mpg.de>
Subject:  Open-access publishing

Date:  Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:52:58 +1200
From:  Stephen Anderson <stephen.anderson at yale.edu>

Colleagues,

A consideration which I have not seen mentioned in this discussion so
far is the traditional link between print journals and professional
societies.  This is something that the Executive Committee of the LSA
has discussed at length (though inconclusively) at some of its recent
meetings, and I would not like to see it pass unnoticed here.

Many notable print journals are published as the official organ of a
professional society, in the way Language is published as the journal
of the LSA.  Such societies perform important functions for their
fields as a whole and for their members, but their most obvious
manifestation for many is the regular appearance of a journal. Events
such as the LSA Annual Meeting and the biennial Linguistic Institutes
are connected to membership in the LSA as well, of course, but in the
past, people have joined the LSA at least in large part (and for some,
solely) so as to receive the journal.  The associated membership
revenue is what supports not only the publication of Language and the
LSA Bulletin but also the many other valuable activities of the LSA
and the LSA Secretariat in Washington, activities that are less
visible but vital to the place of Linguistics in the world of
scholarship and science.

To the extent linguists abandon the LSA because alternative forms of
publication make them less interested in receiving (and finding
bookshelf space for) Language, support for these other infrastructural
aspects of our profession shrinks as well.  It is anything but obvious
what should be done about this, but we should all realize that it is a
real problem, and that it is tied closely (though not exclusively) to
the increasing availability of scholarly outlets other than standard
journals.  It is also not exclusive to our field, but recent trends in
LSA membership suggest that it may be more acute in Linguistics than
in some other disciplines.

-  Stephen R. Anderson Professor of Linguistics, Psychology and
Cognitive Science Yale University