15.2569, Jobs: General Linguistics: Rank Open, UCLA, CA

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 15 17:57:28 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2569. Wed Sep 15 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2569, Jobs: General Linguistics: Rank Open, UCLA, CA

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Wed, 15 Sep 2004 04:42:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:  stowell at humnet.ucla.edu
Subject:  Jobs: General Linguistics: Rank Open, UCLA, CA, USA

Date:  Wed, 15 Sep 2004 04:42:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:  stowell at humnet.ucla.edu

University or Organization: UCLA
Department: Linguistics
Rank of Job: Rank Open
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics, Phonology, Syntax, Historical Linguistics

The UCLA Department of Linguistics expects to have several SHORT-TERM
jobs available teaching specific undergraduate courses during the
Winter (2005) and Spring (2005) quarters of the current academic year
(2004-05).  The courses include Introduction to Linguistics (Ling 20),
Phonology I (Ling 120A), Syntax I (Ling 120B), and possibly Historical
Linguistics (Ling 110).

Because we have several courses available for visitors to teach, we
will consider making appointments that would involve teaching two or
more courses, either concurrently in a single quarter, or spread over
two quarters.  Each course runs for ten weeks (with two 2-hour
lectures per week) followed by an exam week. Winter quarter classes
run from Jan. 6 through March 16 (with exams through March 23); Spring
quarter classes run from April 4 through June 10 (with exams through
June 17).

The pay scale per course will be in the range of $7,500 to $9,500,
depending on rank. (Although these visiting positions are not
restricted as to rank, budgetary considerations may restrict our
ability to hire at higher salary levels.)  Visiting instructors should
have a Ph.D. and comparable teaching experience. We are especially
interested in hiring faculty from other universities who plan to be on
leave during (part of) the coming academic year and who may be
interested in visiting our department for part of the year and
teaching a course while they are here.

Positions are subject to final budgetary approval. UCLA is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. Women and minority candidates are encouraged to
apply.

Applicants should send a letter of application, including a CV, a
statement of previous teaching experience, and the names, addresses,
and phone numbers of three recommenders to the address below.

Actual letters of recommendation should NOT be sent at this time;
likewise, candidates should not send voluminous dossiers of
publications, etc.  Applications should be received by Oct. 11, 2004,
though late applications will also be considered as long as the
positions remain unfilled.

Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to inform us by e-mail,
before Oct. 8, 2004, of their intention to apply for these positions.
Initial enquiries by email may be directed to Tim Stowell
(stowell at ucla.edu) and should include a reference to ''UCLA
Linguistics Jobs'' in the subject line so as to clearly distinguish
the messages from spam.

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Prof. Tim Stowell, Chair
	UCLA Linguistics Department
	405 Hilgard Avenue
	Los Angeles, CA 90095-1543
	United States of America

	Position is open until filled.

Contact Information:

	Prof. Tim Stowell
	Email: stowell at humnet.ucla.edu
	Tel: 1-310-825-0634
	Fax: 1-310-206-5743
	Website: http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!