15.2579, Qs: Grammaticality Query, Native English Speakers

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 16 20:50:07 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2579. Thu Sep 16 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2579, Qs: Grammaticality Query, Native English Speakers

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:29:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Henk Wolf <hwolf at fa.knaw.nl>
Subject:  Past Imperatives

Date:  Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:29:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Henk Wolf <hwolf at fa.knaw.nl>

Dear all!

In the line of my research into tensed imperatives, I wonder if any
native English speakers find the sentence (1) below grammatical with
an imperative interpretation of the first verb. Those to whom the
sentence is ungrammatical in this reading need not respond.

(1) Had a great schoolyear but have an even better summer!

Friendly greetings,
Henk Wolf

Subject-Language: English; Code: ENG