15.2629, Sum: Descriptive Malay Grammars

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 22 17:33:19 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-2629. Wed Sep 22 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.2629, Sum: Descriptive Malay Grammars

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-Sep-2004
From: Jochen Leidner < jochen.leidner at ed.ac.uk >
Subject: Descriptive Malay Grammars

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:31:47
From: Jochen Leidner < jochen.leidner at ed.ac.uk >
A few weeks ago I asked on the LINGUIST List about descriptive
grammars for the Malay grammar that might be useful to computational
linguists. Thanks very much to all replies.

Here is my current list of results:

[1] --- (1947?). Teach Yourself Malay. sine loc.
	[potentially this is by M. B. Lewis (1963), London: English
Universities Press Ltd.]
[2] Alsagoff, L. (1992). Topic in Malay: The Other Subject. PhD
thesis, Stanford University.
[3] Darjowidjojo, Soenjono (1978). Sentence Patterns of Indonesian.
Honolulu: University Press of Hawaii.
[4] Karim, Nik Safiah (1995). Malay Grammar for Academics and
Professionals. Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka.
[5] Marsden, William (1812). A grammar of the Malayan language.
[6] Mintz, Malcolm W. (2002). Student's Grammar of Malay and
Indonesian
[7] Sneddon, Jim N. (1996). Indonesian: A Comprehensive Grammar.
London: Routledge.
[8] Willett, M. L. (1993). Object Preposed Constructions in Malay.
Master's thesis, St. John's Memorial University of Newfoundland.

Some comments:
==============

''There are quite a few grammars around, but most of them are not
very useful. The best I know is J.N.Sneddon (1996) Indonesian: a
comprehensive grammar (Routledge). To use it for Malay you have to be
aware of the differences in usage between Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur.
Another good one from an unlikely source is the Teach Yourself Malay,
which came out in about 1947. I am working with a colleague from the
University of Malaya to produce a corpus-based grammar of Malay. We
[at Lancaster] have so far processed about 2.5M words, and developed
a tagger and rudimentary parser. Jim Sneddon's book stands up well
when tested against the corpus data.''

''You might want to check out Malay Grammar for Academics and
Professionals, by Nik Safiah Karim. It's a 1995 book, published by
Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka.  ISBN: 983-62-4070-5.''

''In regards to your inquiry about grammars of Standard Malay, I can
offer the following references, two on Malay and another on
Indonesian: 1) Two excellent dissertations on Malay morphosyntax: a.
Alsagoff, L. (1992). Topic in Malay: The Other Subject. Doctoral
Dissertation, Stanford University. b. Willett, M. L. (1993). Object
Preposed Constructions in Malay.  Master's Thesis, St. John's
Memorial University of Newfoundland.''

''2) A superb book by Soenjono Darjowidjojo, considered the leading
authority on Indonesian grammar: Darjowidjojo, S. (1978). Sentence
Patterns of Indonesian. Honolulu: University Press of Hawaii.''

Thanks again for all comments and suggestions.

Acknowledgements.
Ann Delilkan, University of Pennsylvania/New York University
Andrew Hippisley, University of Surrey
Gerry Knowles, Lancaster University
Whitney Postman, National Institutes of Health

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; Language Description;
Text/Corpus Linguistics