15.2654, Jobs: Ling Theories: Asst Prof, U of Mary Washington

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Sep 25 05:50:56 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-2654. Sat Sep 25 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.2654, Jobs: Ling Theories: Asst Prof, U of Mary Washington

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date: 24-Sep-2004
From: Judith Parker < jparker at umw.edu >
Subject: Ling Theories: Asst Prof, U of Mary Washington, VA, USA

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:38:39
From: Judith Parker < jparker at umw.edu >

University or Organization: University of Mary Washington
Department: English, Linguistics, and Speech
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

The Department of English, Linguistics, and Speech at the University of
Mary Washington (formerly Mary Washington College) invites applications for
a tenure-track position of assistant professor of linguistics with specialization
in one or more of the following areas of linguistic theory:  morphology,
phonology, semantics, syntax.

Evidence of research or teaching linguistics in languages or language
varieties of US minority populations (e.g. ASL, AAVE, Latina/o English,
a Native American language) ordeveloping nations is welcome. In addition
to designing upper-level courses in linguistic theory, the successful candidate
will regularly teach introductory linguistics and may also develop another
lower-level course in linguistics. All department faculty teach a four-course
load per semester.

UMW offers an interdisciplinary special major in linguistics. We seek to
provide linguistic theory as a necessary complement to our current offerings
in psycholinguistics and sociolinguistics. Linguistics courses are well-
integrated within the university and departmental curricula and can fulfill
English major, across-the-curriculum, general education, and teacher
licensure requirements (see http://www.umw.edu/enls/ling.htm).

Ph.D. required by time of appointment, August 16, 2005.  Candidates
are requested to provide evidence of potential for excellence in
undergraduate teaching and scholarship. Send letter of application,
curriculum vitae, official transcript, and three letters of recommendation
to the address below.

Deadline for receipt of materials is November 22, 2004 by 5 p.m.
Postmarks will not be honored.  Preliminary interviews will be held at LSA;
those unable to attend are still encouraged to apply.

In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide
equal educational and employment opportunities, the University of Mary
Washington actively encourages women and minorities to apply.

The department is committed to the principle of diversity and active
recruitment of minority faculty and students.

Address for Applications:

Linguistic Theory Search
ELS Dept., University of Mary Washington
1301 College Avenue
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
United States of America

Application Deadline: 2004-11-22

Contact Information:

Dr. William Kemp, Chair
Department of English, Linguistics and Speech
Email: wkemp at umw.edu
Website: http://www.umw.edu/enls/ling.htm

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!