16.1031, Jobs: Lexicography/Dictionary Databases: Freelance, UK

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 4 18:33:17 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1031. Mon Apr 04 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1031, Jobs: Lexicography/Dictionary Databases: Freelance, UK

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been set

Date: 04-Apr-2005
From: Eleanor Cowan < eleanor at geddesandgrosset.co.uk >
Subject: Lexicography/Dictionary Databases: Freelance, Geddes & Grosset Book Publishers, Scotland, UK

Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 14:31:33
From: Eleanor Cowan < eleanor at geddesandgrosset.co.uk >

Fund Drive 2005 is now on! Visit http://linguistlist.org/donate.html to donate now!

University or Organization: Geddes & Grosset Book Publishers
Department: Editorial
Job Rank: Freelance
Specialty Areas: Databases, sorting text. Lexicography
Required Language: English (ENG)

Your task would be to evaluate several texts, including a dictionary and a
thesaurus. We need to know if it is possible to easily sort these texts
into new sections designated by word length (arranged alphabetically), and
to possibly create a 'backwards dictionary' (reducing definitions to
keywords) with the final aim of creating a book that will be ideal to help
in solving crossword puzzles and other word games. We would also require
the applicant to be able to carry out the creation of the database. Our
thinking is that a lexicographer with experience of creating and
maintaining dictionary databases would be ideal for this job but all
sensible suggestions from other backgrounds will be considered.  More details
available on response.

Address for Applications:

Ms Eleanor Cowan
David Dale House
Rosedale Street
New Lanark, South
 Scotland ML11 9DJ
United Kingdom

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

Miss Eleanor Cowan
Email: eleanor at geddesandgrosset.co.uk
Phone: 01555 665000
Website: http://www.geddesandgrosset.co.uk

This announcement was not accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List.
It is being posted as a service to the discipline.