16.1075, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Asst Prof, Georgetown U

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 6 17:58:56 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1075. Wed Apr 06 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1075, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Asst Prof, Georgetown U

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been set

Date: 06-Apr-2005
From: Paul Portner < portnerp at georgetown.edu >
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Asst Prof, Georgetown University, DC, USA

Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:55:47
From: Paul Portner < portnerp at georgetown.edu >

Fund Drive 2005 is now on! Visit http://linguistlist.org/donate.html to donate now!

University or Organization: Georgetown University
Department: Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

We are pleased to announce the availability of a one-year Visiting
Assistant Professorship in Computational Linguistics at Georgetown
University for the academic year 2005-6. The faculty member will teach 5
courses during the year in subjects such as Computational Grammar
Formalisms, Formal Foundations of Linguistics (Mathematical Methods), and
Statistical Natural Language Processing. The course-load allows for
co-teaching with other Georgetown faculty. S/he will also mentor MS and PhD
students, and assist in reviewing applications to the program. Salary will
range from $55,000 to $65,000, depending on qualifications.

Computational Linguistics (CLI) at Georgetown, established in connection
with Georgetown's pioneering research in the 1950's in Russian-English
machine translation, offers a novel, theory-based, technology-aware program
of study which prepares students for teaching and research in linguistics
and computational disciplines as well as research and development positions
in the field of information technology. Georgetown's CLI program is
situated within our large and diverse Linguistics department and provides
points of articulation with other areas of linguistics study. The CLI
program is closely tied to its sister concentration in Theoretical
Linguistics, with overlapping student and faculty interests and activities
in these two programs. For more information about the Computational
Linguistics program at Georgetown, please see:
http://complingone.georgetown.edu/~linguist/GU-CLI.html

Applicants should submit a cv, names of 3 referees, and a representative
publication to Deborah Schiffrin (schiffrd at georgetown.edu), Department of
Linguistics, Georgetown University, Washington D.C. 20057 by April 20.

Address for Applications:

	Professor Deborah Schiffrin
	Department of Linguistics
	Georgetown University
	Washington, DC 20057
	United States of America

Application Deadline: 20-Apr-2005

Contact Information:

	Professor Deborah Schiffrin
	Email: schiffrd at georgetown.edu
	Phone: 202 687-6210
	Website: http://www.georgetown.edu/departments/linguistics/

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!