16.1150, Qs: English Sentence Structure;Descriptive Study

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 11 17:40:27 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1150. Mon Apr 11 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1150, Qs: English Sentence Structure;Descriptive Study

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Apr-2005
From: Pranesh Bhargava < pranesh81 at yahoo.com >
Subject: Grammaticality of the English Sentence Structure

2)
Date: 07-Apr-2005
From: Yu Dongtao < yudongtao at yahoo.com.cn >
Subject: Descriptive Study

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:38:45
From: Pranesh Bhargava < pranesh81 at yahoo.com >

Hi all,

I am working in HPSG framework. I wanted to know from the native speakers
of English if the sentences like the following are grammatical:-

1(i). What did John go and buy in the shopping mall?
 (ii).What did John buy in the shopping mall and go?

2.(i). What do you wake up and have for the breakfast?
  (ii).What do you have for the dinner and sleep?

3. What would you wake up and want to have for the breakfast?

Also kindly mention if any of the sentence are ungrammatical but
acceptable. Thanks alot.

Pranesh Bhargava.
Hyderabad, India.

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax