16.1201, Qs: L2 Coordination;Semantics in English Articles

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 15 15:56:16 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1201. Fri Apr 15 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1201, Qs: L2 Coordination;Semantics in English Articles

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 14-Apr-2005
From: Ute Bohnacker < Ute.Bohnacker at nordlund.lu.se >
Subject: L2 Acquisition of Coordination, OV and VO

2)
Date: 12-Apr-2005
From: Kyoungsook (Lucy) Kim < lucykim at siu.edu >
Subject: Semantics in English Articles

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:53:10
From: Ute Bohnacker < Ute.Bohnacker at nordlund.lu.se >

Has anybody come across varieties of learner language OR native language
(e.g. historical varieties) that allow coordination of nonfinite OV with
nonfinite VO, of the type illustrated in (1):

(1) ich werde [einen Computer kaufen] und [schreiben ein Buch].
    I   will   a     computer buy     and  write     a   book

I am working on the L2 acquisition of verb placement (L1 = Swedish (V2 &
VO), L2 = German (V2 & OV). In my spontaneous oral production corpora,
learners have no difficulty with finite verb placement (they produce
targetlike V2), but there is something odd about their nonfinite verb
placement: Some informants appear to allow both a head-final and a
head-initial VP in the same utterance, persistently producing ''OV-und-VO''
coordinations as in (1).

(1) ich werde [einen Computer kaufen] und [schreiben ein Buch].
    I   will   a     computer buy     and  write     a   book
(learner variety)

vs. native German:
(2)ich werde [einen Computer kaufen] und [ein Buch schreiben].

At the same time as these OV-und-VO coordinations occur, VP-headedness in
'simple' clauses (non-coordinated) is typically targetlike for my informants.

I am aware that certain L2-learners have been documented to produce clauses
with the nonfinite verb in final position (OV), as well as other clauses
where the nonfinite verb isn't in final position (VO)(equally so for texts
in some historical varieties, e.g. Middle Swedish).

However, I would be interested to know if any of you know of cases where OV
is coordinated with VO in the SAME utterance (or VO with OV, or any other
differently headed phrase).

In addition to this empirical question, I am grappling with the problem of
how to model coordination of differently headed phrases (i.e. phrases of
same phrase type, but different headedness direction). Any ideas and
reading suggestions are much appreciated.

Best regards,
Ute Bohnacker

-------------------------
Ute Bohnacker
Lund University
SOL-centrum
Box 201
SE-221 00 Lund
Sweden
ute.bohnacker at nordlund.lu

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition
                     Syntax
                     Typology